For a bride, getting married is one of the most exciting days in her life. She wants to look like the most glamorous version of herself and in order to do that she needs to choose the right hair and makeup artist for her – a professional who knows how to bring out her best features and someone who is there to help her relax, feel calm and get her excited for the day ahead.
As a wedding photographer, I have worked with many varied hair and makeup artists. Over the years I have observed a few things and today I want to share these tips with you. Here are our top 5 tips for finding the right hair and makeup artist for you.
TIP #1 – BOOK SOMEONE WHO HAS WEDDING EXPERIENCE
When you are looking for a hair and makeup artist for your wedding, you want to look for someone who has had a good amount of experience doing weddings. You want to know that they can create a look that brings out your best features and makes you look like the best version of yourself.
You also want to make sure that both your hair and makeup wears well for the entire day – that your makeup will last throughout the day and possible tears and that your hair will still look amazing even at the end of the night. Booking an experienced hair and makeup artist will allow you to still look as fabulous as you did first thing in the morning even at the very end of the night.
TIP #2 – BOOK A TRIAL FOR BOTH HAIR & MAKEUP
The best way to know if you have chosen the right hair and makeup artist for your big day is to have a trial. A trial is a great way to make sure that you know what your hair and makeup is going to look like on the day and if your artist knows how to interpret and understand what you want. Choosing an artist who is great at listening, interpreting and communicating with you will give you the best results.
And if you don’t like something, don’t be afraid to say something. They will not be offended. They would rather have the opportunity to change something then and there, then leaving you unhappy. I have witnessed this a few times over my years as a wedding photographer and have chatted to artists about it as well. Don’t be shy, speak up.
A great way to tie in your hair and makeup trial is combing it with your engagement session. This gives you the opportunity to see how that hair and makeup style will capture on camera and if you want to make any changes.
TIP #3 – BOOK A MOBILE HAIR & MAKEUP ARTIST THAT COMES TO YOU
One of best things that you can do is book a hair and makeup artist that comes to your getting ready location. Every single wedding I have ever photographed where the bridal party has had their hair and makeup done at a salon has always run late as they are not the artists only priority. By booking a mobile hair and makeup artist they come to you, you can chill and relax and know that you are their top priority. Plus it is so much more comfy lounging around in gorgeous robes shipping champagne versus being in a busy salon.
TIP #4 – BOOK SOMEONE WHO CAN WORK TO A DEADLINE
One of the biggest disappointments I have as a wedding photographer is when hair and makeup completely disregard timings. As a photographer, you always want to capture as many beautiful photographs of your bride during the preparation stage as possible. When hair and makeup run 30-45 or even 60mins over time it really cuts into the photographers time capturing beautiful photos for the bride. And it completely stresses the bride out.
My advice is to communicate with your hair and makeup artist and let them know what time your photographer is arriving and ensure that they are just putting on the final touches to your hair or makeup so that the photographer can capture some of those gorgeous action photos without cutting into the photo time too much. No one wants to be stressed out!!
TIP #5 – A FEW FINAL TIPS FOR HAIR & MAKEUP
Here are a couple of final tips for hair and makeup for photography:
- Make sure your foundation matches your skin tone. If you are planning on having a tan on your wedding day, make sure that when you are doing your makeup trial, you have the same tan on. That way the makeup artist can match the colour of the foundation to your tanned skin tone, not your natural colour
- Hairstyles – make sure that you choose a hair style that matches the weather… if it is a super windy day and you are having your hair out and down it will fly around EVERYWHERE… or if it is raining, make sure you apply extra hair spray to avoid that frizz look…
- Lashes – I believe that every bride should wear lashes. It just finishes of your look and they make such a difference in photographs!
- Make sure that your foundation is long lasting… whether that is via airbrushing that will give you that light long lasting coverage or a traditional foundation make sure it will last the entire length of the day
- Waterproof mascara – A must if you think you might tear up… no one wants panda eyes!
- Hair – make sure you have some hair spray on hand. If it is windy or you want to just smooth down those fly aways make sure you have a can handy. No photographer wants to be photoshopping hair out!!
- If you are wearing your hair out and curly, think about and chat to your hair stylist about how they will wear throughout the day. I have seen many brides with stunning curls at the start of the day only to have them straighten by the reception… again this all comes down to the look you are after, but definitely something to consider.
So there are my top 5 tips on how to choose the best hair and makeup artist for the day. You want someone with experience who gives you an amazing experience and knows how to create a look that will last throughout the entirety of the day.