Today I wanted to share my thoughts about how to be more confident and comfortable in front of the camera. Most people feel a little daunted by the prospect of being photographed as it makes them feel vulnerable and totally out of their comfort zone. They don’t know how the process works or what to do to prepare for a photo shoot and secondly the don’t think are photogenic and are worried they are going to look and feel terrible in their photos.
But don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be hard! Being confident and comfortable in front of the camera is really not as hard as it seems. I believe that there are two major factors in collaborating on a photoshoot. Firstly making sure you choose the right photographer for you and secondly knowing how to prepare and plan for your photoshoot.
Here are my top tips on what to look for when choosing a photographer for your shoot:
- Choose the right photographer for you. When it comes to being confident and comfortable in front of the camera it is so important for you to choose a photographer that you like, someone who could be your friend, someone who shares your values and can coach you to relax. You don’t want to feel intimidated or uncomfortable while being photographed.
- Choose a photographer who is passionate about their job, the image quality they provide and the customer service experience.
- Find a photographer who will guide, coach and direct you with posing and feeling relaxed in front of the camera.
- Make sure they also look at the small details – you know all those small things that would irritate you when you look at the photos after your shoot. Things like if you hair is in your face, or if you need a touch up of lipstick or if you shirt isn’t sitting right. The photographer should see these things in the moment and correct as they go. It is the little details that make the difference.
And secondly, here are a few things that you as a client can do to feel more confident and comfortable in front of the camera:
- Own it – own who you are, don’t be afraid to show the photographer your personality. Laugh, joke and be silly. If you own it, your confidence will automatically shine through.
- Choose your clothing choices wisely. Make sure that you choose outfits that suit your body shape, fit you well and you feel comfortable in.
- Practice in front of the mirror.. I know I know, how uncomfortable does this sound, but if you stop and practice a little in the mirror, smiling, laughing and not taking yourself so seriously then this will certainly help you feel less self conscious on your photo shoot day and more relax with the process.
On the way to the session why not practice some positive mantras
- I love and approve myself
- I am perfect whole and complete
- When I smile I make other people actually happy
- I am awesome and I can do this
- Trust your photographer and trust the process – you got this, just let go and enjoy the experience. You never know you might actually get photos that you will actually LOVE!
So there you go, my top tips for finding the right photographer to help you feel comfortable and confident in front of the camera and some little tips on how to prepare yourself to be great in front of the camera.
If you have any other suggestions of things that help, I’d love to hear in the comments!