Nicole | Business | Annerley | 6th September 2012
When booking in for a portrait session with Nicole Barralet Photography, the most common question that I receive is “What do I wear?” So I am introducing a series onto the blog about what to wear for different styles of portrait sessions. Today’s post is about what to wear for your Maternity session.
Maternity sessions are all about showing off your gorgeous bump so this is something to keep in mind when selecting your outfit. These suggestions are suggestions for a studio portrait session with either a black or white background. Here are a few clothing item suggestions that I find photograph well:
– Jeans with boob tube tops (either black or white)
– Black pants with a black book tube top
– A set of dark and a set of light underwear
– Tight fitting long dresses that show off your bump. These are great to co-ordinate with your partner for some classic maternity couple portraits.
– Scarves that can be wrapped or draped around your chest
– Button up shirts that can be open and hang loose down either side of your bump – white or light colours work best
– Long flowing fabric (around 6m) if you love those shots where the fan is blowing and the fabric is blowing in the wind.
– Accessories – headbands, belly jewellery, colourful necklaces and bracelets
If you would like to include your partner in your maternity session, I always suggest for them to wear something that compliments your outfit and is smart casual.
Outdoor Maternity Sessions
If you are not really keen on a contemporary maternity studio portrait, then there is the option of heading outdoors with your partner for a lifestyle maternity session. This type of session is more about celebrating the connection you and your partner have and the anticipation of the impending arrival. When thinking about your style, think more about fashion inspired outfit choices.
– Jeans and boob tube tops
– Tight fitting long dresses that really show off your bump
– Flowy tops or flowy skirts
– Long light fabric that can flow in the wind
Again these are only my suggestions and if you have specific ideas in mind, then I am more than happy to work with your styling or concepts that you have in mind. It is such a special time in your life and we want to capture how amazing you look and feel. And don’t worry we do minor skin retouching before we show you your gorgeous images.
If you have any questions about what to wear for your maternity photo shoot, then feel free to send an email or give me a buzz and I would be happy to discuss further!!!