Today I wanted to share a post that is a little different today – the topic of self love. It is a topic that keeps coming up in all of my conversations with my clients during boudoir sessions, but also something that I have been working on a lot in my own personal life.
Self love is such an interesting topic. It sometimes I think could be misconstrued at being “selfish” but I think that is just an uninformed opinion. My opinion on self love is that you need to take the time to care, love, nurture and be in tune with yourself in order to be of service and to care and love others. How can you love and care for others if you are not caring for yourself.
A quote that I have recently come across from a website that I absolutely love is Tiny Buddha. I think it really puts into perspective what the true meaning of self love is…
“Self-love requires you to be honest about your current choices and thought patterns and undertake new practices that reflect self worth.” – Caroline Kirk
Self love is something that can be explored and achieved in so many different ways. It is such an interesting concept to “love yourself” but what exactly does that mean?? It’s not just pampering yourself or taking time out (although I believe that we should all nourish ourselves more) but a daily practice of being emotionally responsible for all of your actions, choices and decisions. It is about the following things:
- Looking after our bodies – physically, emotionally and spiritually so we can be the best versions of ourselves
- Being emotionally honest with ourselves and the people around us
- Building a life and doing work that we love – it doesn’t have to be the norm, it can be what ever you want it to be depending on what your priorities are in life. You don’t always have to follow the crowd
- Self acceptance – accepting who we are, our flaws and all, accepting our inner and outer beauty
- Making time for play, adventure and just fun experiences
- Learning how to speak to yourself – speak to yourself as though you were coaching and encouraging your best friend.. how does this change your mindset?
Self love to me is a daily practice of being kind to yourself, accepting yourself for all your flaws and imperfections, growing, learning and being the best version of yourself. I think if we were all just a little kinder to ourselves and each other the world would be a completely different place.
Some of the practical things that I like to do regularly include:
- Going for a walk or a hike. I love being out with nature and getting out and moving
- A hot bubble bath while reading a book
- Eating nourishing foods that give my body as much energy as possible
- Meditating to clear any emotional blocks I may be facing
- Being near the water – whether that be fishing, sitting by the river or heading to the beach
- Writing in my gratitude journal
- Celebrating successes or wins however big or small in my life.. I don’t think we do this enough.
So what do you do to practice self love?? I would love to hear in the comments…