Nicole | Business | E-Shoots & Weddings | 9th April 2014
Here at Nicole Barralet Photography, all of our wedding packages include a complimentary engagement session. Shooting an engagement is important for several reasons. First, this time allows you to get comfortable in front of the camera, for you to see how we photograph as a photographer. How we talk, coach and direct you to achieve the best possible photographs. It is also a great opportunity for us to see how you interact together as a couple. We find that after the engagement session we feel more like a friend than just a service provider on the day. It builds a great relationship and your wedding day photographs will be better as a result of this.
Next, you can showcase your personalities in a more casual setting, while creating some fun captures for wall portraits, your wedding guest book, Save the Date cards and even your wedding invitations.
If you are having your bridal make up trial around the same time, some of our brides do this on the day of their engagement session so that they can see how their make up will photograph. Another great idea!
Best of all, you can remember this special time forever away from the throngs of loved ones and friends. This is your time together, as a couple. In Love. Here are some great location ideas for your engagement session:
• At the place he proposed: After all, what better way to capture an engagement than the place it all started!
• At your favourite restaurant: Meaningful memories happen with food, ambience and your special song playing in the background.
• Doing your favourite activity: You both enjoy playing checkers. What better way to capture your personality than in the heat of game play, the agony of defeat, or the comedy of contemplating your next move?
• Where you first met each other: Whether your first meeting was a discussion at the library or fumbling for the door at the local coffee shop, going back to your beginnings is a marvellous memory.
• Images with your pet: What better way to capture your new family than by including a beloved shared pet in your session?
• Your favourite skyline: Your city is beautiful at any time of the year, and the skyline shares where you live now, a beautiful location that might change with time.
• A downtown urban session: Fun and funky, pictures in alleyways or in otherwise undiscovered locations of your local area make for a more intimate view of the city.
• A romantic beach: In the late afternoon sunset where the sea meets an endless sky for a feeling of forever.
• Paddock with Afternoon Golden Sunlight: An open field, golden sunlight, a couple in love. Just gorgeous!
• Vintage-styled, with old furniture and funky clothes: Bring out your nostalgic or avant garde side with some dramatic, edgy modern shots coupled with retro stylings.
• At your favorite, cute coffee shop: Quirky and cozy, local mum and dad shops are a great way to take a quick break to refuel and to catch some local, architectural shots with you in the process.
• Seasonal: Catch the nuances of the seasons, including everything from a winter wonderland, to leaves of fall, to flowers in spring, to the lush, green summers in nearby beautiful fields and forests.
So that’s a little bit about why engagement sessions are important and a few little ideas to help you to start thinking about where you would like your shoot to take place. There are so many opportunities and sometimes the most unexpected places make the best photographs.